There are multiple reasons why you might notice bad smells in your home or coming from your drains, and we will explain these first before explaining how to get rid of them.
Causes of Smelly Drains
- Blocked drains and bacteria – blocked drains and the accumulation of bacteria that comes with them is probably the most common reason why there are bad odours coming from your drains. If you ever notice a blocked sink, drain or toilet etc. then chances are the foul smell will be coming from the bacteria from the grease, debris and hair that has become stuck in your pipes.
- Water issues – sometimes the sulphur which is found in soil can enter our pipes through small holes and cracks and then mix with your water. It can then cause a reaction and produce a rotten egg smelling gas which can enter your home. Whilst this is not a risk to your health it can be a real nuisance to have to deal with the smelly drains.
- Sewer smells – sometimes if the drain is left unused for too long it can start producing bad smells which can rise back up out of the drains.
- Mould/Mildew – in the case of a leaking pipe, the mould can start to build up, and if growing in large amounts they can start to turn and cause smelly drains.
How to Get Rid of the Bad Smells
- Blocked drains and bacteria – in most cases pouring bleach and hot water down the drain will help, or you can try using baking soda and vinegar which will form a reaction that is known to breakdown blockages in drains. They will also kill the bad smelling bacteria which is causing you problems.
- Water Issues – as the problem is exacerbated by water heating up you can correct it by heating it up more and killing the bacteria.
- Sewer Issues – to keep the bad sewer gas from rising up you need to ensure that the taps aren’t empty for too long. By making sure they are full of water you will be stopping the gas from escaping and rising up and out of the drains.
- Mould/Mildew – if the source of you bad smells is due to mould and a leaking pipe then you might require Metro Rod’s assistance in fixing the leak, as you will probably be unable to reach it.
As drains are used to carry away all our waste products it’s important they are kept in good condition otherwise you might face some nasty situations and smells. If you are constantly suffering from drainage issues or bad smells then get in contact with Metro Rod Stoke who will be able to assist you further.
Metro Rod Stoke offers services across Stoke-On-Trent, Stafford, Wolverhampton & Worcester, from dealing with blocked drains, drain repair, CCTV surveys and septic tank maintenance. We believe in simple things and make sure we follow them through; available 24/7, professional, value for money service during and after the job and peace of mind in the fact that all our engineers are highly trained, DBS checked and fully insured.
Make sure you get in touch with us through any of the following:
Enquire through our website: click here
Get in touch with us via email: [email protected]
Connect with us on LinkedIn: click here
Call us on 0808 208 2658
Handling all your drainage needs, we are the drainage experts. We look forward to hearing from you soon!