This week Metro Rod Bournemouth is backing National Apprenticeship week following the launch of Metro Rod’s very own drainage engineer Apprenticeship programme at the beginning of 2019. National Apprenticeship Week is coordinated by the National Apprenticeship Service and is designed to celebrate apprenticeships and the positive impact they have on individuals, businesses and the wider economy, and we are delighted that we have our new apprentice Ben, who started his training with us in the middle of February.
A drainage engineer’s job is actually highly skilled and requires technical knowledge and expertise in a range of techniques associated with drain care and repair . One of our team of fully trained engineers in the Swindon and Thames Valley area will typically be fully trained in :
- High pressure water jetting. This is the most effective way of clearing a blocked drain or eliminating an external blockage causing a blocked toilet or blocked sink.
- Electro-mechanical drain and pipe cleaning. This is commonly the most effective way of cleaning and unblocking internal drain pipes.
- CCTV drain survey and reporting. This is in itself a highly skilled and technical area of Metro Rod Swindon’s operations.
- Vacuum tanker work such as where a tanker is deployed to remove volumes of waste water
- Confined Space entry
- ” No-dig” drain repair and drain lining
- Safe excavation
- Pre-planned maintenance programmes
- Numerous IT applications
- Health & Safety and Hygiene procedures
- Customer care
As you can imagine unblocking drains in Bournemouth and Poole towns such as Dorchester, Weymouth, Swanage, and Christchurch as well as the many rural Dorset villages, involves a lot more than “turning up with a few rods” !!
At Metro Rod we uphold the highest standards of training and accreditation, quality, safety and environmental standards – we are compliant with ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and OHSAS 18001 and all our engineers maintain their professional accreditations through regular renewal training so you can rely on safe and professional solution to any drainage problem in the Swindon area.
Now, in 2019, Metro Rod’s national network of drainage engineers has partnered with The Institute of Training and Occupational Learning (ITOL), to create an industry first apprenticeship scheme unique to the drainage industry. The bespoke drainage apprenticeship scheme is exclusive to Metro Rod and is designed to allow new entrant Apprentices to learn all the skills needed to specifically meet the business’s requirements, in turn meeting the highest standards in the drainage industry.
ITOL are globally recognised as an elite professional body, delivering a Professional Development Framework, with the structure of the programme being both simple and flexible, providing a variety of career paths for individuals to achieve excellence and improving organisational performance.
The Metro Rod drainage apprenticeship will be completed over a two year period. ITOL staff will visit Metro Rod’s local depots, such as our own at Metro Rod Bournemouth and support the on-boarding and training of our new drain care apprentice Ben.
The drainage apprenticeship has two distinct elements:
- Completion of external core modules familiar to you such as HPWJ (high pressure water jetting), NRSWA (streetworks training), CSCS (construction site training) etc in the normal way.
- 38 internal modules covering drainage practice the completion of which will make the prospective apprentice an experienced and competent contributor to your business, with the full completion resulting in the student becoming a fully trained and qualified drainage engineer.
The Metro Rod drainage engineer apprenticeship scheme evidences our commitment to the long-term future of our business and Metro Rod Bournemouth’s ongoing commitment to drain care and repair in the communities of the Dorset and Portsmouth.
If you have and drainage or plumbing needs in the Bournemouth, Poole, Weymouth, Dorchester, rural Dorset area, give Metro Rod Bournemouth a call 0808 250 9905, we can assist with all drainage and plumbing requirements:-
*Unblocking drains * CCTV Survey * PPM’s * Gutter Clearing * Cracked Pipe Repair * Water Leak Repair * Septic Tank Emptying * Drain Care * Septic Tank Maintenance * Homebuyers Drainage Survey * Fat & Grease Management * Sewer Inspections * Pipe Lining * Excavation * Drain Mapping * New Drain Installations * Tanker Services * Bespoke Services *