Metro Rod Cumbria are constantly asked hundreds of different questions regarding blocked drains & how we unblock them!
From guttering to pre-planned maintenance, find Metro Rod Cumbria’s answers to a few frequently asked questions below:
- Why do my drains block up?
A blocked drain may be a symptom of an underlying problem or simply that it needs a maintenance clean to remove grease or scale.
- How long will you take to get here? Metro Rod Cumbria will contact you and give an eta, they will keep you updated in the event your engineer is delayed due to traffic for example. We aim to service emergencies within 4 hours or arrange an appointment to suit you.
- What if it not my drain that is blocked? If the blockage is affecting your neighbours, it is likely that your Local Water authority is responsible for the blockage. If the blockage is affecting only your property, then this is most likely a private drain and the responsibility of the home owner.
- Should i have a survey of my drains before buying a house? Home buyer surveys are always a cost-effective option. Any defects identified can be resolved by the vendor before purchase and you can move into your new home in the knowledge that you will not have any expensive drainage issues. Contact Metro Rod Cumbria for a fixed cost CCTV survey.
- How do i stop my drains blocking up? Avoid pouring grease and paint into the drains, use of disposable wipes and any other debris. Periodic maintenance jetting and CCTV survey may be beneficial for older drains and those with limited gradient.
- Can you repair my drains without digging them up? Metro Rod Cumbria offer a range of drain rehabilitation services including re-rounding of pitch fibre drains, localised (patch) lining and full length drain lining. In many instances, these techniques can be used instead of conventional excavation to avoid disruption.
- What if my drains cannot be repaired? When excavation is the only method of drain repair/replacement, our engineers will work to minimise disruption to a minimum.
- How long will you take to unblock my drains? Our engineers will be able to give you an indication of timescale once they have viewed the problem.
- Do you have high pressure water jetting equipment? All our vans are equipped with High Pressure Water Jetting Equipment. This is our preferred method of drain clearing and supports other electro-mechanical equipment carried by our engineers.
- Can you invoice me at the end of a job?
Account facilities can be arranged for large or regular customers, subject to the usual checks.
- Why are my bath and sink glugging?
Glugging or slow running waste pipes are a symptom of problems with flow, often due to a restriction in the pipes.
- Why do my drains smell?
Foul odours can be a symptom of a blocked drain or a drain venting to atmosphere. Ask one of our engineers to visit and investigate the problem for you, they will then be able to advise on the best course of action.
- Should there be water lying in the bottom of my manhole?
The manhole invert or base should be dry except when the drain is flowing. If water is lying in the bottom of a manhole, or the manhole if full or partially full, then something is wrong.
- My septic tank is over flowing can you help?
Yes, if your septic tank is overflowing, then there is a problem with the soak away or drains leading from the septic tank to the soak away. Septic tanks should be emptied every 3 to 6 months to prevent the outlet drains becoming blocked.
If you have any other questions, that are not listed above, please don’t hesitate to contact us!
Visit our website at: www.metrorod.co.uk/cumbria
We look forward to hearing from you with any queries that you may have!