Blocked drains are a real nuisance so here are some tips on the causes and how you can look after your drains to prevent blockages.
It’s important we look after our drains as we rely on them on a daily basis, and when something goes wrong within them it can be a real pain. So Metro Rod Cumbria would like to share with you some of the top causes for blocked drains and how you can avoid one yourself.
If you find you are constantly suffering from a blocked drain, then take a look at the top causes below to see if you are unknowingly doing something wrong;
- Food waste – we find that people often wash a lot of food waste down the sink or let it be washed away by the dishwasher. However, if you are doing this for chunks of food it will gradually build up in your drain pipes and cause a blockage. Especially with foods like bread, pasta and rice which will soak up water and expand after being washed away.
- Wet wipes – these make up the majority of blockages in homes across the UK, as they look like they will flush away like toilet paper, but they are often non-biodegradable. This means they don’t disintegrate quickly in water and then catch on other bits of dirt and fat which altogether build up creating blockages.
- Fats, Oils, Grease (FOG) – these create what are called ‘fatbergs’ in our pipes, they are washed and poured down the drain as liquids but as they cool, they will solidify into big masses in the pipes. They are then stuck and begin to collect more dirt and debris that is washed down.
- Cotton wool, cotton buds – these, and similar products, expand in water which means if you flush them down the toilet they will get bigger and start to create blockages, so its best to throw them in the bin.
If you are regularly disposing of the above by either flushing it or rinsing it down the sink then you are more likely to suffer from a blocked a drain so try and avoid doing it as much as possible.
Here are some signs that you will have a blocked drain
- Your toilet not flushing properly
- Unpleasant odours coming up from the pipes
- A pool of water near the sink, bath, dishwasher etc
- Gargling sounds coming from the drains – this sound is trapped air escaping with the flow of water
Metro Rod Cumbria offer services from dealing with blocked drains, drain repair, CCTV surveys and septic tank maintenance. We believe in simple things and make sure we follow them through; available 24/7, professional, value for money service during and after the job and peace of mind in the fact that all our engineers are highly trained, DBS checked and fully insured.
Make sure you get in touch with us through any of the following:
Enquire through our website: https://www.metrorod.co.uk/local/cumbria/
Get in touch with us via email: [email protected]
Call us on 01228 648050
We any drainage needs, we are the drainage experts. We look forward to hearing from you soon!