Emergency helpline: 0800 66 88 00


Your Questions Answered!

11th June 2018

Your Questions Answered!

Who is responsible for drains?

Since 2011 the law states that you are now responsible for your own drain, to the point of the property boundary. However this will vary with some properties including flats and apartments. We can assist with specific ownership queries.

Why should I choose MetroRod Norwich?

MetroRod Norwich have operated in the Norfolk area for over 18 years, we have a team of long serving engineers who apart from knowing the area well, are extremely knowledgeable, qualified and friendly. Sometimes attempting drainage works yourself can indeed make an issue worse, we pride ourselves on being 'The Brains Behind Your Drains' finding the most effective remedy.

MetroRod Norwich is part of a national franchise network, and we have a team of experts ensuring that we provide the very best service in terms of health safety, equipment, technology and  product knowledge. Our engineers are trained to the highest standards. For more information on our industry acreditations, please take a look at https://www.metrorod.co.uk/about-us/accreditations/.

We are very proud of our engineers and the feedback from our customers regarding their service, please take a look at our testimonials for further information


We also work 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, we are here when you need us.

If you have any queries at all please give us a ring and we will be happy to help.

What services do you offer?

We offer:-

Clearing blocked drains - We prefer to use High Power Water Jetting (HPWJ) to clear blocked drains, this is very effective and environmentally friendly. For larger works we Electro mechanically clean.

Drain repair

Drain survey (CCTV) and sewer inspections - The most effective way to investigate drains is most often to put a small camera down into the pipe. This is called a CCTV survey, we can carry out a CCTV survey for different reasons, such as damage pipes, to purchase a new property, to check the condition of the pipes etc. We also have various survey options available for you. Call the office to discuss this further.

Septic Tank Management

Tanker service

Gutter Clearance

Emergency Plumbing

Bespoke Commercial Services

Emergency 24 hour Call Out.

Pre-planned scheduled maintenance

Further information can be found on our website or we can talk through your exact requirements, call us on 01508 535127

Why have my drains blocked up?

A blocked drain may be a symptom of an underlying problem or simply that it needs a maintenance clean to remove grease or scale.

I have a burst pipe! What do I do?

Turn off the water at the stop tap as soon as possible, and call MetroRod for further assistance. If a pipe has burst close to any electrics, turn off the mains supply too.

Low water pressure, what can be done to improve it?

Normal water pressure function is important to ensure that your drains flush waste water through effectively. Low water pressure could be indicative of problems such as a burst water main or a broken drain pipe. It would always be best to give us a call to take a look for you.

Help! A blockage on a neighbouring property is affecting my property, what can be done?

If the blockage is affecting multiple properties it could be that your Local Water authority is responsible for the blockage. If the blockage is affecting only your property, then this is most likely a private drain and the responsibility of the home owner. Give us a call and we will take some details to ascertain responsibility.

Should I have a CCTV survey carried out on the property that I am buying?

Home buyer surveys are always a cost-effective option. Any defects identified can be resolved and you can move into your new home in the knowledge that you will not have any surprise drainage issues. Ask your local office for a fixed cost CCTV survey.

How can I keep my drains free flowing?

Avoid pouring grease and paint into the drains, dont put wipes down your pipes either, or anything that isn't suitable for your drains. Periodic maintenance jetting and CCTV survey may be beneficial especially for older drains and those with limited gradient.

My drain is a little bit smelly! What can I do?

Unfortunately bad smells are a sign that their may be further problems such as a blockage. We can come and take a look for you, it is important to let us know if you have used any chemicals.

Video Stinky Drain

Can you repair my drains without digging them up?

Metrorod offer a range of drain rehabilitation services including re-rounding of pitch fibre drains, localised (patch) lining and full length drain lining. In many instances, these techniques can be used instead of conventional excavation to avoid disruption.

Does MetroRod have a call out charge?

We do not charge a Call out fee, our contact centre will give you a rate for the service that you require.

Why is my water slow flowing?

Slow flowing water could be an indication of a problem  such as a broken pipe or blockage. If you do have a broken pipe or blockage it could cause a flood or burst pipe, so call Metrorod at the earliest sign that you may have slow flowing water, its better to resolve a problem when it is small.

My water pressure is low, what can I do?

Normal water pressure function is important to ensure that your drains flush waste water through effectively. Low water pressure could be indicative of problems such as a burst water main or a broken drain pipe. It would always be best to give us a call to take a look for you.


Give us a ring on 0800 668800 or 01508 535127 if you would like some further information about how we can assist you

Talk to you local metrorod specialist

Talk to your local Metro Rod specialist

We are always happy to arrange a free site assessment and no obligation quotations for any work you might need. Alternatively, you can call our emergency hotline number on 0800 66 88 00

Get in touch Drainage Services
0800 66 88 00 Make an Enquiry