The next in our series of taking a closer look at the area we cover: Oxford
Known as the “city of dreaming spires”, Oxford is a city that was founded in the 8th century. It was initially called “Oxenaforda“, meaning “ford of the oxen”. There is a myth that the city was founded by a princess named Frideswide, who was fleeing an unwanted proposal and who founded a priory and eventually gained Sainthood.
- Oxford is home to many art galleries and museums and can boast the Ashmolean museum, which was the first museum in the world to be opened to the public in 1683
- The eponymous Alice from Alice in Wonderland was inspired by a real girl who lived in Oxford and was known to Charles Dodgson (a.k.a. Lewis Carroll)
- Speaking of famous authors, along with Charles Dodgson Oxford can also boast being home to J.R.R.Tolkien and C.S.Lewis who both worked at Oxford colleges and spent time together at the Eagle and Child pub, which they nicknamed the Bird and Baby and who we are proud to service the drains for!
- Oxford is of course known for it’s colleges, the first being founded in the 13th Century, although the beginning of Oxfords tradition of learning began in 1188
- A blessing in disguise: Hitler reportedly ensured that Oxford was not targeted by German bombs because he intended to make Oxford the new capital of his view for England, which of course never came to pass. Who do you think you are kidding, Mr Hitler?
- Oxford has a growing number of science parks, which is great for the wider community given the important work being done in these buildings and laboratories
- Oxford has the second highest rate of people choosing to cycle to work in the country
We are very proud to be involved with the city of Oxford, keeping it’s drains flowing. We have been unblocking drains in Oxford for almost 20 years and have watched the city evolve over time. We look forward to continuing to grow our customer base and providing drain unblocking services, along with CCTV drain surveys and gutter maintenance and more to the people who choose to live and work in Oxford.
If you require the services of Metro Rod you can get in touch with us in a variety of ways;
You can go to our website
You can get us on Twitter or Facebook
You can call us on 01869 277702
or you can connect with our sales and marketing team on LinkedIn